PLEASE share your enjoyment of this site:
On this page you can also find out about the following:
- Call us, email us & web address, find us/ how to get here/where to stay
- Dining with us
- Booking a table
- Prestige Performances Concerts/ Special Events/music work shops
- Booking for private hire for party bookings (Day or Night)
- Booking location hire
CALL US: Enquiries or bookings (6.00-7.00 pm advised): 0044 (0)207 787 2227
EMAIL US: email@example.com www.quecumbar.co.uk
FIND US: 42-44 Battersea High Street, London SW11 3HX, United Kingdom We are outside the congestion charge zone and have Free parking: After 4.30 pm weekdays. All day Saturday and Sunday.
HOW TO GET HERE:
Nearest BR station: Clapham Junction. Leave via the Winstanley Road/Grant Road back exit (not the main exit!). Turn immediatly right out of the back of the station, walk to the end of the road then turn immediately right onto Falcon Road (away from the bridge). Walk down Falcon Road, then cross at the lights opposite the Asparagus pub on the corner. Walk straight ahead down Battersea High Street; when you get to the traffic barrier, head under the bridge and keep walking. We’re on the left after The Woodman pub, opposite the Sacred Heart church.
Bus routes: 170 (from Victoria, Clapham Junction or Roehampton). Alight at Battersea Square and it’s a very short walk. Walk back through the square keep to the right hand side of the street and we are about 200 yards on the right next to Thomas private school. 319 (from Streatham or Balham). Alight at Falcon Road, cross and walk down Battersea High Street. Continue under the bridge and we’re on the left-hand side of the road just before the square.
Transport for London Journey Planner
WHERE TO STAY:
- The Lavender Guest House (about a 25 min casual walk) 18 Lavender Sweep, Clapham Junction, London SW11 1HA Telephone 020 7585 2767 Mention Le QuecumBar when booking to receive a discount.
- Holiday Inn Express, Wandsworth Smuggler’s Way, Wandsworth, London SW18 Telephone 020 8877 5950
- Travel Lodge, York Road (about a 15 minute walk) Southampton House, 200 York Road, Battersea, London SW11 3SA Book your room online to get the best price available.
- Jurys Inn Chelsea Imperial Road, Imperial Wharf, London, London, UK, SW6 2GA Tel: 020 7411 2200 Special offers are often available.
DINING: We specialise in Music, Mood Wine and Food. Dining is an accompaniment to the nightly live music. We offer a casual dining experience from the blackboard with a French slant. We pride ourselves on the quality of our brasserie food, which is prepared lovingly until 10.00 pm each night. Our menu offers a relaxed alternative to the formal three-course format. We strive to offer a variety of value for money simple tasty dishes listed daily on our specials board with some great homemade additions, offering the perfect accompaniment to our fine wines, jazz and unique 1930s Parisian ambience.
Dishes range from £6.00 to £15.00 with no extras and the average spend per head incl a bottle of wine between two is £30
Sample Dishes From Our Daily Specials Board
- Home made French onion soup served with fresh French bread
- Rocket and parmesan salad with balsamic vinegar
- Frogs’ legs, snails, plus other, homemade favourites such as Coq Au Vin, Spicy Chorizo/chick pea and apricot medley and Beef Bourguignon
- Whole oven cooked fish
- Le Mans Rillettes or house pate served with warm red onion marmalade, salad garnish and toast
- Fried bread-crumbed soft cheese with continental salad and sweet cranberry sauce or oven baked garlic camembert with French bread
- Smoked salmon and soft cheese with a mixed leaf salad and hot pita bread
- Platter for two: antipasta salami selection, houmous, olives and salad garnish
- A selection of delicious desserts
Wine & other drinks: We are primarily a music wine bar, so you can expect wines for quaffing and wines for lingering. Our popular house wines are available by the glass, bottle or carafe. Our extensive range of speciality wines, available by the bottle only, feature a number of French classics, as well as favourites from around the world. Prices range from £13.50 to £35.00. Don’t worry if you’re not a connoisseur – our staff are always on hand to advise and help with the blackboard specials which offer so me real treats. We stock a range of champagnes priced from £30 upwards
Highlights of our wine menu include:
- Colombard/Chardonnay; Bordeaux (France)
- Pinot Grigio; Montepulciano (Italy)
- Sauvingnon Blanc; Merlot (Chile)
- Chardonnay; Shiraz (Australia)
- Chenin Blanc; Pinotage (South Africa)
We offer Kronenberg and Amstell on tap, alongside a good range of popular bottled beers, of which our latest addition is Belgian abbey beer Leffe. House spirits, liqueurs and premium spirits also available. Why not try our house cocktail, the chocolate martini? For drivers and non-drinkers we offer a range of drinks, including non-alcoholic wines and beers, fruit juices, the usual soft drinks and Fentiman’s ginger beer and lemonade.
TABLE BOOKINGS/RESERVATIONS: Are for non ticketed events and diners only. Please reserve your table by phone during opening hours only on 020 7787 2227 (after 6.00 pm) with your phone number credit/debit details etc to reserve a table. (When you make a booking you agree to our terms and conditions) If you wish to drop by for just a drink that’s fine too, but we do not take table reservations for non diners. The bar is for over-18s only. Unfortunately we do not have a licence or insurance covering children. We reserve the right to make a £15pp min spend on normal nights and £25pp min spend on ticketed events nights, this is to help preserve the ability to supply quality live music, on ticketed nights all the ticket money goes to the performers.
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU HAVE BOUGHT A TICKET ONLINE FOR A PRESTIGE PERFORMANCE CONCERT OR SPECIAL EVENT, YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESERVE A TABLE; YOU HAVE A TABLE GAURANTEED WITH YOUR TICKET. ALL TABLES ARE ALLOCATED TO TICKET HOLDERS ON ARRIVAL, HOWEVER DINERS and VIP MEMBERS DO GET PREFERENTIAL SEATING. Any email requests are automatically added to our monthly newsletter mailing list.
We do ask that the following terms are noted when you make your reservation:
- Table bookings are reserved for diners only. Unfortunately, we cannot reserve a table for those who wish only to drink.
- Our live music from 8.00pm – 11.00pm is FREE for before 8.00pm arrivals (arrivals after 8.00pm will have a £5pp cover charge added to the bill) on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Tuesday night jam session and Wednesday night is FREE all night and Sunday and Monday are normally reserved for ticketed events. We do however sometimes book concerts and special events on other nights according to artists availability
- We can accept table reservations for up to 10 people only due to logistic limitations. We’ll hold your table for 45 minutes after the allotted time; this can be extended with a telephone call if you are running late on the night.
- Where possible we’ll try to place you in your desired location within the bar; those booking tables on live music nights may choose to sit close to the music or further from it.
- A 15% service charge will be added to the bill for all parties of five or more, and at all ticketed events and Special Events.
- We will charge £10 per head cancellation fee to the provided credit card if the reservation is cancelled with less than 72 hours’ notice.
- We will also charge a £10 per person no show fee for any of your booked party that do not turn up and honour the booking on the night.
- For table bookings of 10 people or more, a non-refundable deposit of £100 is required which will be offset against the final bill; the management also reserves the right to apply a minimum charge of £25 per head on parties of this size.
- The person making the booking is responsible for the final bill (for obvious reasons we can’t split bills for large parties).
- No bar or cash sales will be taken from the party booked, all drinks and food are served at the reserved tables and charged/added to the final bill and will not be sold separately over the bar.
- To make a reservation: Call us with the following information during opening times after 6 with: your name, date and time of booking, how many people in your party, a contact telephone number, whether you wish to be near or far from the music, and your credit card details: number, start date, expiry date, issue number and three-digit security code. – we advise that you call between 6.00pm and 7.00pm. Your email address will automatically be added to our mailing list unless you request otherwise.
PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE UNABLE TO ACCEPT CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS FOR ANY TICKETS HERE AT THE BAR OR OVER THE PHONE. If you wish to save the booking fee/credit card fee please pay by cash at the bar in advance, please visit us during our opening hours and purchase in person. Your ticket purchase is linked to your table reservation so there is no need to call and reserve a table for ticketed nights, all seating is allocated on arrival, with preferential seating given to diners. However if you wish to sit with friends who have booked their tickets separately we will try and accommodate you if you notify us in advance.
- All tickets for these events are at our online shop or via www.wegottickets.com/lequecumbar where you can pay by credit/debit card or Pay Pal, booking fees will be incurred.
- You will not receive a physical ticket, just an email confirmation that you can print out and bring with you.
- However if your payment has not gone through for any reason we will be aware of this.
- We will not reserve tickets without full payment.
- As seating is limited customers may have to share tables
- Arrive early for better tables.
- Doors open at 6.00 pm when food is available until 8.00 pm or 10.00 pm depending on the event.
- Tickets are non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
Please note: All the ticket money collected for Prestige Performance Concerts and Special Events goes directly to the musicians. A lot of our Prestige performers live abroad therefore the ticket money is for their fee and expenses to get here, we only generate revenue from food and drink sales at these events.
In light of the above and in order to continue hosting world class events we reserve the right to charge a minimum spend of £15 pp and 15% service is added to the bill at these events, which goes directly to the staff.
Music workshops are as and when visiting overseas musicians are here and available they are for all abilities and are posted on our shop as workshops. All workshops begin at 10.45 am and last until 4.00 pm with a 1 hour lunch break. Tickets for workshops cost £35 and are strictly limited: book online through our online shop. Booking fees will be incurred when paying by credit card.
LOLLO MEIER – TUITION in HOLLAND:
One-to-one tuition with Patron and world class Dutch Gypsy guitar master Lollo Meier at his home in Holland. This is a unique opportunity to learn to play Django Reinhardt Gypsy style guitar at the Dutch home of famous Gypsy guitarist Lollo Meier. The price includes pick-up and drop-off at Maastricht airport, all tuition and three nights’ bed and breakfast and evening meal. Flights are not included in the price, but can be bought for as little as £26 depending on the booking date (see Ryanair for flights from Stansted). Flight schedules change from time to time so please check the internet – it is also possible to fly into Eindhoven.
Itinerary for the four-day programme is as follows:
DAY 1: Arrive at Lollo’s home via Eindhoven or Maastricht airport. Coach and ferry are alternative travel options.
DAY 2: Four hours’ tuition (two morning, two afternoon)
DAY 3: Four hours’ tuition (two morning, two afternoon)
DAY 4: Final practice session and drop-off at Eindhoven or Maastricht airport
The workshop can be booked to suit. Friday-to-Monday bookings are available. We are pleased to provide feedback from the tuition provided by QuecumBar Patron Lollo Meier at his home in Holland. Contact www.lollomeier.nl to find out more about this fantastic opportunity to learn Gypsy Swing jazz from a true master. Our thanks go to those below who took the time to write these reviews. by Alexis Nonis My time spent learning from Lollo at his home was the very important stepping stone – I have been waiting a long time to progress anywhere at all with this music. I advise anyone who wants to learn the true (Gypsy Sinti Manouche) way to pay a visit to Lollo as he will definitely set you on the right path. by Steve Aston I spent four enjoyable and enlightening days at Lollo Meier’s home. Besides the fact you are in the company of some lovely people and, I must add, eating some great food (especially breakfast) you get a fascinating insight into the sometimes perplexing world of Gypsy jazz guitar. Lollo is an encyclopaedia of this style and can easily break down whatever it is you are looking for within your own playing due to his own handed-down knowledge from none other than his close relative the great Fapy Lafertin. On my return I felt more confident about my playing, I felt I really had learnt something and I recommend to anybody taking this music seriously to do the same. by Diego Parada Suàrez I had great time with Lollo and his family. They are a lovely family and Susan, Lollo’s wife is a great cook; the caravan supplied while you are staying with them is amazing. In my first class with Lollo we worked on my rhythm, which is very important for this style and looking for the bass as Django plays. If you are thinking about “la pompe” – I mean the Strasbourg rhythm as Tchavolo, Hono Wintestain etc play – Lollo does not use that style of rhythm but he plays Django’s rhythm, so it is great to learn it with Lollo. After concentrating on the rhythm we played together and he taught me how he makes his solosÉ he tries to make different variations on the melody just as Django used to do. Don’t try to understand the why of his playing; he’s a Gypsy as Django… I mean gypsies can’t tell you: “I play the 3 because it is the dominant of the second chord…” No!! they learnt to play with their ears and with the rest of the gypsies, which is their life and their tradition – learning Django’s lines and the way Django played. He gave me some very useful exercises for my wrists so that I become better in my rhythm. We worked the rest of the time on specific things: turn arounds, which arpeggio did Django use in this solo in Django’s Tiger, etc – a lot of stuff to practise this winter because I recorded all the sessions on some cassettes. It’s great to go and stay with Lollo because he knows the real Django’s playing: very sweet and very melodic. You can ask him all the things you want; he’s a great guy and player. If you need exercises or the Gypsy way with the right hand ask him – he can show you many things to make your playing better. I really enjoyed my time with him and his family and learnt so much it was well worth going to visit with him and a very valuable lesson, especially having the time together alone to concentrate on everything. I plan to go back next year. Contact Lollo to book your Gypsy Swing experience and one to one tuition now!
LE QUECUMBAR HIRE FOR PRIVATE USE (day or night): Corporate or private The bar’s capacity is as follows: seating inside for 65 to 70 people; tropical garden 30 people; pavement seating 12 people; eight bar seats. Our overall capacity is 100. The full hot and cold buffet supplied is £20 per person. We do not serve draft beer for parties. Our licencing hours are until midnight on weekdays and 1.00am on Fridays and Saturdays. Those wishing to book the bar for a private party must agree to the following terms and conditions before booking:
- Exclusive hire for any event incurs a £250 venue fee.
- We cannot confirm any bookings until the £500 non refundable deposit is made.
- Any balance due is payable on the date of the event itself when the deposit will be deducted from the total outstanding.
- A 15% service charge will be added to your final bill, and if applicable to each individual guest’s tab. This is to be paid upon settlement of the bill at the end of the evening. A minimum guaranteed spend (on food and drink) is required for all bookings:
- Sunday to Friday £2,000 and Saturday £2,500. This includes all food and drink sales but excludes the 15% service charge. Day rates can be negotiated.
- We will request the person making the booking to settle any imbalance between the actual bill and the minimum spend at the end of the evening this must be settled in at least 50% cash.
- No cash sales will be taken during the evening and no bar service it is table service only.
- All drinks will be added to individuals’ tabs, to be settled at the end of the event.
- Live music and extra staff will incur charges to be arranged at time of booking.
- We can supply musicians but payment is between you and the musician directly. Due to our licence restrictions we cannot accommodate DJs or discos for any event.
To book: Call by phone to discuss or email us with full details of your party: date, numbers, budget etc – we’ll be happy to help.
Please contact us for details if you wish to use Le QuecumBar as a location shoot for photography or filming. So far we have been used by the national press for various photo shoots, the TV advertisement for the CD of the Gypsy Kings’ greatest hits collection was filmed in our tropical garden and many private interviews and photo shoots of celebrities have taken place here. We offer excellent hospitality and competitive rates, and are willing to discuss any requirements. Please call or email Sylvia.